October 25, 2009

My Dog Got Skunked!

Yes it happens in the best of families. And sadly ours is no different.
My little black mixed-breed dachshund Gretchen, the fierce defender of our pack, got sprayed several weeks ago while shooing a skunk out from underneath my husband's hunting trailer. Needless to say he won't be taking that RV out this year!
First I tried the tomato juice remedy that everyone (who has not been skunked) says works. Then I rubbed old coffee grounds all over her as Gretchen looked at me as if to say, "I always knew you would snap."
I've given her several baths in everything from doggie shampoo to Vidal Sassoon to lemonade.
She still stinks.
Winter is coming on and although she has a dog house, it is not heated, and I want to bring her inside where she has mostly hung out all her life sleeping and eating and wagging her tail when my husband walks through the door.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Bleach should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I will try that next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lord please say you didn't bleach your dog! A Dog getting sprayed is very similar to a human getting sprayed. You wash it with a special soap. In this case Natures Miracle Skunk Odor Removal

    Do a search for it at petsmart.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. salty here is a link that has a good recipe also for getting rid of skunk odor.

    www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

    Mr.Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you one and all for your suggestions! Gretchen is less "smelly" than before.I tried several of your recipes. I bath her a lot!
    The odor is kinda wearing off.
    Finally.

    ReplyDelete

Use Google

Custom Search